Saturday, January 9, 2016

Longing

Oh, that men would give thanks to the Lord for His goodness, And for His wonderful works to the children of men! For He satisfies the longing soul, And fills the hungry soul with goodness. Psalms 107:8-9 (NKJV)

Years ago I was working on a musical track for an album. It was late at night--everyone else in the house was asleep--and I was putting on the finishing touches. It was a song called, "There's a Longing in My Soul." The lyrics to the chorus go like this:

There's a longing, in my soul,
There's a longing, in my soul,
And there's nothing in this world 

That can touch my soul,
Like the Spirit of the Lord.

There's a hunger, in my soul,

There's a hunger, in my soul,
And there's nothing in this world

That can fill my soul,
Like the Spirit of the Lord.


The song ends with a repetitious vamp that states over and over, "The Spirit of the Lord is touching me, the Spirit of the Lord is touching me..." The track was finally completed and I sang with it. When I came to the vamp, the Spirit of the Lord literally descended on me and the personal prayer and worship service was on! If any of the family members had stumbled upon my "studio time" in the prayer closet--they would have known that God was at work in my soul.

I was moved to tears--my hands were lifted towards heaven--and only the angels were witnesses to the personal touch of God on my soul. I found out that night--and well as many other times in my life--that God is able to satisfy the longing of my soul like nothing else found on this plane of existence. I have also found that James was right. "Draw near to God and He will draw near to you." James 4:8

No comments: